Friday, February 20, 2009

J for JOKER


I realized there were only stacks of cards in the room. I flipped through them and realized something; the joker was missing in all the packs... which, I had to use somewhere.

“CID thinks, may be a mentally disbalanced one is responsible for the murders, to which I contradict.” I muttered.

It was a dark December night, and my house, being some distances away from the core of the town, remained silent and darker, and as alone as its master.

There were dreamy blue scent of chhatim and other flowers coming from my garden, and the glasses of the windows – were pierced by the light of the lamppost standing outside on the road. Night, smell, loneliness... my only companions, after my wife left this world.

“CID thinks, may be a mentally disbalanced one is responsible for the murder, to which I contradict.” I muttered again.


Last week, my wife was killed, being the fourth prey of a killer, who leaves a certain sign after the murders.

I took up the newspaper and eyed the heading reflecting the four at a row murder case. “...and taking the last, four persons have been killed by the same murderer. The first three were inside the town, and the fourth is just nine kilometers away from the town. The killer, according to police, is a psychopath leaves his presence by a certain sign – a joker card. CID is investigating for...”


“Mentally unstable, joker card... hah ha” I laughed out loud breaking the silence of the room.

“They are searching for the mad person like bulldogs, and here is your murderer.” I said.


It was easy, very easy. I was planning to get all the properties of my wife, and suddenly came across a story heading ‘ABC murder case’. I turned my plan to ABCD murder, and at last here I am, with properties worth six crores.



From the farthest part of the city, where the Muslim-Patti ends, sounds kept coming of barking of stray dogs, and except that, sounds in my room of ticking of the wall clock.

People try to sleep in darkness, in silence, when they are alone. But I do not. Rather, I try to hear strange sounds; try to smell those things which are abstract. Like the railings of windows, the wooden benches. Have you ever tried to find the smell of night? It is a soft, gentle and charming one – like those of chhatim flowers.

I took my gun again. The bloody gun, which took all the four lives. And a last work is to be done. I have to kill my last enemy, tonight.


And the next day, police will find another body in the house. Similarities – joker card, the same murderer. Difference – case of a suicide.


-Sept '07

-written on Sept '07, published on 12th October in the same year in TOI.

2 comments:

  1. wah wah...kya baat kya baat! bodhoy tor number of words e kichu limitation chilo... noito puro mama-story hoyeche!

    ReplyDelete
  2. are ora 400 words e confined kore diechhilo, protibar e kore

    ReplyDelete